Choosing Your Cat Collar for Birdsbesafe Covers
We offer a variety of breakaway cat collar styles and brands. We're always testing and looking for any new cat collar developments from the bigger pet product companies. Here are thoughts, at present, to help with your collar decision.
Remember: A Birdsbesafe cat collar is tubular in shape, and is held on by a cat collar. Your Birdsbesafe cover falls off in an emergency when the breakaway buckle releases.
- Safety is paramount. Your cat's collar needs to open under pressure. But, conversely, you want it to stay on for normal use. With those goals in mind, we offer you the best cat collars that we can find for your shopping here.
- Breakaway buckles. We like the "Kitty Clip" featured on our stretch collars and the cotton collars on our Shop pages. It releases at a consistent amount of pressure and was designed specifically for cat collars.
- We like some stretchiness, along with the breakaway buckle. Either stretch elastic or a little stretch in the fabric of the collar will help the cat collar release, but not release TOO easily.
- You can't really go wrong with a nylon collar for durability, and our red nylon choice has the Kitty Clip buckle style.
- Aesthetics: It matters, but not as much as normal when your cat is going to wear the Birdsbesafe cover over the collar. Yes, many of our customers' cats are happily wearing the BIrdsbesafe cover indoors and out, 24/7, with occasional laundering.
- Magnetic cat collar buckles? Coastal Pet Products is marketing a magnetic clasp. Have you seen it? Tried it? We'd love to hear from you if you have experience with it. Is it the holy grail of a reliable but releasable clasp.