Visit our Blog for News on Shipping in the Pandemic... and more
November 07, 2015
In Vermont, it is almost bird-feeding season, which starts when the local black bears go into hibernation. Never a good idea to attract black bears to your yard with birdseed! We like feeding birds, but we try to do it at the right time.
We also keep our feeder up above a porch roof, so birds don't feed on the ground where they might be easy for predators to capture. We're in the bird-protecting business, afterall.
At Birdsbesafe® company, we sell Birdsbesafe cat collar covers to help protect birds from housecats. There are, of course, other ways you can protect songbirds. Here's a list of some options you should consider.
1. Keep your cat indoors all the time. It's a terrific solution.
2. Keep your cat indoors at dawn and dusk, and in between nightfall and the morning.
3. Walk your cat on a harness, or keep your cat contained in an outdoor "catio" or enclosure of some kind.
4. Use our Birdsbesafe® cat collar covers on your cat to make the cat easy for birds to see and avoid.
5. Don't use a birdfeeder in a location that lets birds feed in groups on the ground if you have an outdoor cat. And don't have shrubbery or other visual barriers around the base of a birdfeeder -- eliminate places cats can hide from their prey until capturing birds.
6. Teach your neighbors about ways to protect birds from their cats. Try to do this with a calm tone and without accusing their cats of being killers of billions of birds.
7. Ask your local nature shop to carry Birdsbesafe cat collar covers or put them in touch with us via our website.
Together, our customers have protected (estimated) 100,000's of birds this year alone. We're making a difference, with your help, in the impact of 100 million cats in the U.S. and more. Thank you for caring about cats and birds.
February 12, 2021
Results of a scientific field study, led by Univ. of Exeter's Dr. Robbie MacDonald, were published in the journal Current Biology this week."Fitting Birdsbesafe collar covers reduced the numbers of birds captured and brought home by 42% but had no discernible effect on mammals."
And, the research paper characterized it: "Birdsbesafe is a colorful collar cover that works as a visual warning, increasing the visibility of cats to potential prey animals with color vision. It exhibited pronounced effectiveness in reducing killing of birds, and more generally, prey with good color vision, including herpetofauna."
November 28, 2020
As we enter the holiday season, in 2020, it is remarkable how very unique 2020 has been around the globe. What remained the same, for us at Birdsbesafe company, was our devotion to helping cat owners save birds!
October 17, 2020
We really enjoy hearing from you about your successes with Birdsbesafe® collar covers on your cats protecting birds in your yards. Here's just a sampling of some recent emails that we have received! We appreciate every one of them.
Thanks for caring about cats and birds.
"We love your product, it’s amazingly effective…not a single caught bird since we’ve started using the collar covers. Wish all cat owners who let their cats outside knew about these."