Named a Top Ten Pet Product for Earth Day by People Pets - See Blog
November 07, 2015
In Vermont, it is almost bird-feeding season, which starts when the local black bears go into hibernation. Never a good idea to attract black bears to your yard with birdseed! We like feeding birds, but we try to do it at the right time.
We also keep our feeder up above a porch roof, so birds don't feed on the ground where they might be easy for predators to capture. We're in the bird-protecting business, afterall.
At Birdsbesafe® company, we sell Birdsbesafe cat collar covers to help protect birds from housecats. There are, of course, other ways you can protect songbirds. Here's a list of some options you should consider.
1. Keep your cat indoors all the time. It's a terrific solution.
2. Keep your cat indoors at dawn and dusk, and in between nightfall and the morning.
3. Walk your cat on a harness, or keep your cat contained in an outdoor "catio" or enclosure of some kind.
4. Use our Birdsbesafe® cat collar covers on your cat to make the cat easy for birds to see and avoid.
5. Don't use a birdfeeder in a location that lets birds feed in groups on the ground if you have an outdoor cat. And don't have shrubbery or other visual barriers around the base of a birdfeeder -- eliminate places cats can hide from their prey until capturing birds.
6. Teach your neighbors about ways to protect birds from their cats. Try to do this with a calm tone and without accusing their cats of being killers of billions of birds.
7. Ask your local nature shop to carry Birdsbesafe cat collar covers or put them in touch with us via our website.
Together, our customers have protected (estimated) 100,000's of birds this year alone. We're making a difference, with your help, in the impact of 100 million cats in the U.S. and more. Thank you for caring about cats and birds.
April 28, 2021
Does this make our pet products officially famous?
We made the list of 10 best eco-friendly pet products for Earth Day! We're lucky #7. See the story by People Pets' editor here.
We're on a mission to protect birds from cats that hunt. Thank you, cat owners!
April 16, 2021
We are grateful for the loyalty and dedication of our sewing partners, who have sewn our products ever since 2015. Our products are made in the United States, and they always have been. It is a decision of ours to support American manufacturing, and to support the fair compensation of the sewing professionals whose hands guide our products through the sewing process. We rely on their superb professional sewing capabilities in order to bring you a beautiful collar cover to help protect birds -- and to dress up your cat in an attractive way.
Fabric is the main "ingredient" of our product. Over the years, fabric prices have increased. Today, we raised the price of our product. It was our first price increase since 2013. We needed our prices to better reflect our actual costs. We hope you will understand and appreciate that it was an overdue adjustment.
February 12, 2021
Results of a scientific field study, led by Univ. of Exeter's Dr. Robbie MacDonald, were published in the journal Current Biology this week."Fitting Birdsbesafe collar covers reduced the numbers of birds captured and brought home by 42% but had no discernible effect on mammals."
And, the research paper characterized it: "Birdsbesafe is a colorful collar cover that works as a visual warning, increasing the visibility of cats to potential prey animals with color vision. It exhibited pronounced effectiveness in reducing killing of birds, and more generally, prey with good color vision, including herpetofauna."