Visit our Blog for Pandemic Updates and More
November 07, 2015
In Vermont, it is almost bird-feeding season, which starts when the local black bears go into hibernation. Never a good idea to attract black bears to your yard with birdseed! We like feeding birds, but we try to do it at the right time.
We also keep our feeder up above a porch roof, so birds don't feed on the ground where they might be easy for predators to capture. We're in the bird-protecting business, afterall.
At Birdsbesafe® company, we sell Birdsbesafe cat collar covers to help protect birds from housecats. There are, of course, other ways you can protect songbirds. Here's a list of some options you should consider.
1. Keep your cat indoors all the time. It's a terrific solution.
2. Keep your cat indoors at dawn and dusk, and in between nightfall and the morning.
3. Walk your cat on a harness, or keep your cat contained in an outdoor "catio" or enclosure of some kind.
4. Use our Birdsbesafe® cat collar covers on your cat to make the cat easy for birds to see and avoid.
5. Don't use a birdfeeder in a location that lets birds feed in groups on the ground if you have an outdoor cat. And don't have shrubbery or other visual barriers around the base of a birdfeeder -- eliminate places cats can hide from their prey until capturing birds.
6. Teach your neighbors about ways to protect birds from their cats. Try to do this with a calm tone and without accusing their cats of being killers of billions of birds.
7. Ask your local nature shop to carry Birdsbesafe cat collar covers or put them in touch with us via our website.
Together, our customers have protected (estimated) 100,000's of birds this year alone. We're making a difference, with your help, in the impact of 100 million cats in the U.S. and more. Thank you for caring about cats and birds.
October 17, 2020
We really enjoy hearing from you about your successes with Birdsbesafe® collar covers on your cats protecting birds in your yards. Here's just a sampling of some recent emails that we have received! We appreciate every one of them.
Thanks for caring about cats and birds.
"We love your product, it’s amazingly effective…not a single caught bird since we’ve started using the collar covers. Wish all cat owners who let their cats outside knew about these."
October 08, 2020
Today, in Vermont, we are past our peak foliage color display, and the first snow fell in the White Mountains last night in nearby NH. Many species of birds have already migrated through, on their way to wintering locations to the south.
A few weeks ago, we saw this unidentified Thrush species, with a few other birds, grazing over a period of days as they fed for the long flights to come. And today, there were Dark-eyed Juncos and a small flock of these Sparrows.
September 01, 2020
UPDATE: Oct. 20. We are seeing slow shipping times for individual packages to Australia and New Zealand. If your tracking shows no change for a week, be reassured your packaging is still traveling towards you, but slowly.
The postage cost is very high, and the shipping times too slow. More news, as we know it.